Monday, October 20, 2014

Do you wear a uniform at your school?

Japan introduced school uniforms in the late 19th century. Today, school uniforms are almost universal in the public and private school systems. They are also used in some women's colleges. The Japanese word for uniform is seifuku.

In Japan, around 95 per cent of high schools require uniforms. Many of the remaining 5 per cent who don’t have to wear uniforms want to wear them. Because each school’s uniform is different, the way the outfit looks often factors in when students are selecting schools.

When you were a student, did you wear a school uniform? Would you prefer to wear it to go to school?